|Duration of Study|
|Mode of Study|
|Offering Campus(es) / Venue(s)|
|Average Result of Admitted Students in 2020 (Note 1)|
Five HKDSE subjects at Level 2 or above, including English Language, Chinese Language and Mathematics; OR VTC Foundation Diploma (Level 3) / Diploma of Foundation Studies with successful completion of Foundation Mathematics III; OR VTC Diploma in Vocational Education / Diploma of Vocational Education with successful completion of Mathematics 3G / 3E; OR VTC Diploma of Vocational Baccalaureate; OR Yi Jin Diploma / Diploma Yi Jin with successful completion of Mathematics Plus; OR Equivalent.
- Holders of VTC Foundation Diploma (Level 3) / Diploma of Foundation Studies / VTC Diploma in Vocational Education / Diploma of Vocational Education / Yi Jin Diploma / Diploma Yi Jin without successful completion of the relevant optional Mathematics module, should possess HKDSE Mathematics at Level 2 or above.
- An "Attained", "Attained with Distinction (I)" and "Attained with Distinction (II)" in an HKDSE Applied Learning (ApL) subject (Category B subjects) are regarded as equivalent to an HKDSE subject at "Level 2", "Level 3" and "Level 4" respectively, and a maximum of two ApL subjects (excluding ApL(C)) can be counted for admission purpose.
- A "Grade D or E" and a "Grade C or above" in an HKDSE Other Language subject (Category C subjects) are regarded as equivalent to an HKDSE subject at "Level 2" and "Level 3" respectively, and one Other Language subject can be counted for admission purpose.
- Applicable to holders of Diploma in Vocational Education / Diploma of Vocational Education (DVE) (students admitted to DVE in AY2017/18 or before are required to complete prescribed further studies modules).
- Upon completion of the Diploma of Vocational Baccalaureate (DVB) Programmes, students can progress to higher diploma programmes in VTC, subject to their BTEC and IGCSE results.
- For details please contact Department of Engineering :
- IVE (Morrison Hill) : 2835 8342
- IVE (Sha Tin) : 2256 7500
- IVE (Tuen Mun) : 2460 5375
The programme aims to provide students with the necessary knowledge and skills to enable them to pursue a career in the Building Services Engineering Industry. The equally important aim is to develop students' abilities to think clearly, assess problems critically, view work creatively and communicate effectively when working independently or as members of a team.
This programme is designed with an emphasis on generic and language training, whole-person development and workplace experience to better prepare students for further studies and employment after graduation.
Graduates can work in various areas of infrastructure development and construction related projects including new developments, urban renewal projects, maintenance and upgrading of existing services. Nature of work varies from building services design and installation to facility management. The multi-skill training offered by the programme renders graduates less vulnerable to fluctuations in the construction industry. The average employment rate in recent years is over 90%. Graduates can be employed in both private and public organisations, e.g. building services consultants and contractors, property development and management companies, main contractors, suppliers and government departments. A student placement programme is built in the programme with students being placed as far as possible to work full-time in industry during the last semester of study. This helps to achieve the objective of "seamless employment".
Graduates can apply for admission to the following full-time degree programmes :
- BEng (Hons) in Building Services Engineering offered by the Hong Kong Polytechnic University
- Bachelor of Engineering in Architectural Engineering offered by the City University of Hong Kong
- BEng (Hons) in Building Services Engineering offered by the Technological and Higher Education Institute of Hong Kong (THEi)
- BEng (Hons) in Mechanical Engineering offered by the University of Hong Kong
- BEng (Hons) in Mechanical Engineering offered by the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
Upon admission to the above programmes, graduates can apply for credit exemption. The level of exemption will be considered on individual basis.
Graduates can apply for the following HKCAAVQ accredited full-time / part-time top-up degree programmes [duration of 9 months (full-time) / 18 months (part-time)] jointly operated by SHAPE of VTC :
- BEng (Hons) Building Services and Sustainable Engineering# offered by the University of Central Lancashire, UK (Part-time); Registration Number (Non-Local Higher and Professional Education (Regulation) Ordinance) : 252295
- BEng (Hons) Building Services Engineering# offered by the University of the West of England, UK (Full-time and part-time); Registration Number (Non-Local Higher and Professional Education (Regulation) Ordinance) : 252610
Graduates can also apply for admission to overseas universities and direct entry to the second year of study is generally accepted. For example, BEng (Hons) in Building Services Engineering offered by the Northumbria University, UK. # It is a matter of discretion for individual employers to recognize any qualification to which this course may lead. Please refer to the corresponding programme page in the website of SHAPE for the registered course no.
This programme has been fully accredited by the Hong Kong Institution of Engineers (HKIE) in 2020 as satisfying the academic requirements for Associate Member.
This programme is recognized by the Electrical and Mechanical Services Department of the HKSAR as satisfying the academic requirements for registration as Grade B Registered Electrical Workers.
- Average result in 2020 refers to average score of the best 5 HKDSE subjects, including English Language, Chinese Language, Mathematics, Liberal Studies, and one elective subject of admitted students in 2020 for reference only.
(Scoring scale: 5**=7 points; 5*=6 points; 5=5 points; 4=4 points; 3=3 points; 2=2 points; 1=1 point)
- Students may be required to attend classes on other VTC campuses. VTC reserves the right to cancel any programme, revise programme content or change the offering institute(s) / campus(es) / class venue(s) if circumstances so warrant.