VTC welcomes appointment
of new Chairman
Leading development of vocational and professional education and training
The Vocational Training Council (VTC) welcomes the Government’s appointment of Mr Tony TAI Chark-tong as the new chairman for a term of two years with effect from 1 January 2020. VTC paid tribute to Dr Roy CHUNG Chi-ping, the outgoing Chairman of VTC, for his invaluable contributions to VTC over the years.
Mr Tony TAI Chark-tong is an outstanding Information Technology leader, with extensive management experiences driving innovation and technology development in Hong Kong and the region. He has spared no effort in support of vocational and professional education and training (VPET) and quality manpower development. Mr Tai has served as member and subsequently Chairman of VTC Innovation and Technology Training Board (formerly known as Committee on Information Technology Training and Development) since 2011. Over the years, he has provided valuable advice on the development of training programmes in response to manpower needs of industry and society. He has also supported talent development in areas of new technology and promoted lifelong learning through the implementation of the “Re-industrialisation and Technology Training Programme”, an initiative of the Innovation and Technology Commission.
Mr Tai was appointed as Council Member of VTC in 2013 and subsequently as Deputy Chairman from July 2019. He has been serving as the Chairman of Higher Education Advisory Committee, Audit Committee, Board of Directors of VTC School of Business and Information Systems and Board of Directors of VTC Enterprises Limited, to provide strategic advice on the development of VPET. Under Mr Tai’s leadership, VTC will continue to provide quality VPET for young people and working adults, nurturing talent for the sustainable development of society and industry.
VTC extends heartfelt gratitude to Dr Roy CHUNG Chi-ping, the outgoing Chairman of VTC. Dr Chung was appointed as Council Member of VTC in 2004 and later as Deputy Chairman. He was the Chairman of the Steering Group of WMG School for Professional Development in Hong Kong jointly established by VTC and the University of Warwick, United Kingdom. Over the years, Dr Chung has made committed contributions to VTC and youth development.
During Dr Chung’s tenure as Chairman of VTC, he has steered the implementation of major development projects to enhance VTC’s infrastructure, including the new Chai Wan campus of Technological and Higher Education Institute of Hong Kong (THEi) and the International Culinary Institute (ICI) campus in Pok Fu Lam, which signified a new chapter for VTC in developing professional talent. Dr Chung is also committed to promoting the long-term development of VPET and recommended Hong Kong to learn from overseas role models by putting an emphasis on applied skills and education as well as development of vocational progression pathways to further reinforce the value of VPET.
Dr Chung was appointed by the Government as Chairman of Task Force on Promotion of Vocational Education and the Task Force on Promotion of Vocational and Professional Education and Training in 2014 and 2018 respectively. He has steered the Task Force and offered recommendations on the development of VPET, including rebranding VPET and strengthening its promotion through strategic means.
Speaking on his appointment, Mr Tai stated, “I am very honoured to be appointed as Chairman of VTC. Under Dr Chung’s leadership, VTC has completed a number of major teaching facility projects and launched market relevant programmes, nurturing quality talent for Hong Kong and helping young people develop their interests and unleash their potentials.”
Mr Tai continued, “I have been serving different committees of VTC to support the development of VPET and worked closely with stakeholders of VTC. Going forward, I will continue to join hands with the dedicated VTC team to nurture more skilled professionals for injecting new impetus to our society’.
VTC also welcomes the new appointment of Mr Daniel YIP Chung-yin and the re-appointment of Professor Eric YIM Chi-ming as Deputy Chairman. The Government also announced the appointment of Mr Harold WONG Tsu-hing as a new member and the re-appointments of Mr Paul CHONG Kin-lit, Ms Candy TAM Lai-chuen and Mr Gary YEUNG Man-yui as members of the Council. All appointments and re-appointments are for two years with effect from 1 January 2020. For details, please refer to the appendix.
Established in 1982, the Vocational Training Council (VTC) is the largest vocational and professional education and training provider in Hong Kong. The mission of VTC is to provide a valued choice to school leavers and working people to acquire the values, knowledge and skills for lifelong learning and enhanced employability, and also to provide support to industries for their manpower development. VTC has 13 member institutions, namely the Technological and Higher Education Institute of Hong Kong (THEi) , the Institute of Professional Education And Knowledge (PEAK) , the School for Higher and Professional Education (SHAPE), the Hong Kong Institute of Vocational Education (IVE) , the Hong Kong Design Institute (HKDI) , the Hotel and Tourism Institute (HTI) , the Chinese Culinary Institute (CCI) , the International Culinary Institute (ICI) , the Maritime Services Training Institute (MSTI) , Youth College , Pro-Act by VTC , the Integrated Vocational Development Centre (IVDC) and the Shine Skills Centre.
Media Enquiries: 2919 1456 / 2836 1046
Membership list of VTC
Profile of Mr Tony TAI Chark-tong
Vocational Training Council (VTC)
(From 1 January 2020)
Annex: Winners List of the 16th Infrastructure Building Competition for Secondary Schools
Chairman Mr Tony TAI Chark-tong (From 1 January 2020) Deputy Chairmen Professor Eric YIM Chi-ming JP
Dr Daniel YIP Chung-yin
Members Professor Philip CHAN Ching-ho BBS
Mr Victor CHAN Kok-wai
Mr Paul CHONG Kin-lit BBS MH
Ms Quince CHONG Wai-yan JP
Dr Jacob KAM Chak-pui
Mr Ronald LAM Siu-por
Mr Clarence LEUNG Wang-ching JP
Mr Kennedy LIU Tat-yin
Dr Wingco LO Kam-wing JP
Ms LOW Khah-gek
Mr Dominic PANG Yat-ting
Ms Candy TAM Lai-chuen MH
Mr Harold WONG Tsu-hing
Mr Gary YEUNG Man-yui MH
Mr Esmond LEE Chung-sin JP
(Deputy Secretary for Education or his representative)
Mr Carlson CHAN Ka-shun JP
(Commissioner for Labour or his representative)
Ms Salina YAN Mei-mei JP
(Director-General of Trade and Industry or her representative)
Mrs Carrie YAU TSANG Ka-lai GBS JP
(Executive Director of Vocational Training Council)
Mr Tony TAI Chark-tong
VTC Chairman (Designate)
Education and Professional Qualifications:
- Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering (University of Hong Kong)
- Master of Arts in Business Administration (University of Hong Kong)
- Chapter Honoree of Beta Gamma Sigma 2015 (Chinese University of Hong Kong Chapter)
- Deputy Chairman, Vocational Training Council
- Chairman, Audit Committee, Vocational Training Council
- Chairman, Innovation and Technology Training Board, Vocational Training Council
- Chairman, Board of Directors of VTC School of Business and Information Systems
- Chairman, Board of Directors of VTC Enterprises Limited
- Member, Standing Committee, Vocational Training Council
- Member, Finance Committee, Vocational Training Council
- Chairman, Higher Education Advisory Committee, Vocational Training Council
- Governor, Board of Governors of Technological and Higher Education Institute of Hong Kong
- Member, Social Capital Net (SC Net), Community Investment and Inclusion Fund, Labour and Welfare Bureau
Past Public Services:
- Member, Steering Committee on Enriched IT Program in Secondary Schools, Office of the Government Chief Information Officer
- Member, Information & Communications Technology Services Advisory Committee, Hong Kong Trade Development Council
- Member, Advisory Committee of Department of Systems Engineering & Engineering Management, Chinese University of Hong Kong
- Member, Computer Science Advisory Committee, University of Hong Kong
- Member, Innovation and Information Management Program Advisory Board, School of Business, University of Hong Kong
- Member, Small and Medium Enterprises Committee, Hong Kong General Chamber of Commerce
- Member, Committee on Information Technology Training and Development, Vocational Training Council
- Member, Committee on Technologist Training, Vocational Training Council