|Duration of Study|
|Mode of Study|
|Offering Campus(es) / Venue(s)|
(Class venue : VTC Kowloon Bay Complex / VTC Pokfulam Complex / VTC Tin Shui Wai Training Centre)
(Class and training venues include but not limited to International Culinary Institute, VTC Pokfulam Complex, VTC Kowloon Bay Complex, Tin Shui Wai Training Centre, Chinese Training Restaurant and Western Training Restaurant at Pokfulam, The T Hotel, Training Café and Western Training Restaurant at Kowloon Bay.)
Completion of Secondary 6 (under the New Senior Secondary academic structure); OR completion of Secondary 5 with a pass in the HTI / CCI / ICI bridging course; OR Equivalent.
- Provides training on trade-specific skills for those who wish to pursue a career in the European bakery, pastry and confectionery industry. It also enables students to gain intricate skills and knowledge of pastry and bakery production techniques, including chocolate and sugar art, of hotels, restaurants and standalone patisseries
- Equips students with advanced knowledge in baking and pastry arts and science, food hygiene and safety, complex skills, work attitude and ethics so as to improve their career potential and competencies, and to develop their generic and artistic skills as a professional pastry chef
- Provides training on the overall and artistic skills required as an European Baker and Pastry Chef with an aim to enhance their analytical and practical skills with a kitchen management focus, to help them explore their career aspirations by becoming life-long learners
Upon graduation, graduates may start their careers in operative positions like Junior Pastry Chef in patisseries, bakeries, cafés, restaurants, hotels, resorts, theme parks, clubhouses and more. By accumulating relevant experience in the industry, they can advance to supervisory positions such as Demi-Chef, Chef de Partie, and Pastry Chef. Equipped with management know-how in bakery and pastry operations and business, graduates may also choose to open their own bakery, pastry shop or café.
Students who study food preparation and catering programmes are required to take the food hygiene and safety module. Students who have attained the specified score or above at the relevant examination will be awarded the “Basic Food Hygiene Certificate for Hygiene Managers” which is recognised by the Food and Environmental Hygiene Department, HKSAR.
Graduates of Diploma in Bakery, Pastry and Confectionery (QF Level 3) who meet the following entrance requirements can sit for the “Certified Pastry Cook” Trade Test that is jointly offered by the International Culinary Institute and the Handwerkskammer Koblenz (Chamber of Skilled Crafts) HwK Koblenz, Germany. Successful candidates will be awarded “Certified Pastry Cook”.
- Minimum 22 years of age
- Minimum of 1 year’s relevant work experience
- Relevant Certificate in Hygiene and Safety
QF Level: 3
QR Registration No.: 15/002730/L3
Validity Period: 01/09/2015 - 31/08/2026
- Medium of Instruction: Chinese supplemented with English Terminology.
- Students may be required to attend classes on other VTC campuses. VTC reserves the right to cancel any programme, revise programme content or change the offering institute(s) / campus(es) / class venue(s) if circumstances so warrant.
- Students enrolling for this programme must maintain the health standards required of a food handler throughout the duration of training. This encompasses taking a medical check, at students’ own expenses, which includes chest X-ray, urine routine, stool routine, stool culture, hepatitis A virus Ab lgG.
- For students who have a negative hepatitis A virus antibody result, a vaccine is recommended.
- Students are required to have a medical check, purchase and wear the designated uniform and safety shoes where applicable, at their own costs. Institute reserves the rights not to admit students who fail to follow this clause.
- Items listed in the curriculum are key modules only, more modules are included in the programme.
- Upon completion of the food hygiene and safety module, students may sit for the “Level 2 Award in Food Safety and Hygiene” examination offered by the Royal Society for Public Heath (RSPH), UK at their own expense. Successful candidates will be awarded a certificate.
- Subject to training requirements, students may be arranged to attend lessons or to undergo practical training which may be scheduled on evenings, Saturdays, Sundays or Public Holidays at other campuses or venues.
- The programmes are geared to prepare students for employment after graduation. Graduates may articulate to Professional Certificate / Professional Diploma programmes after having accumulated work experiences in the industry. For enquiries, please call the Institutes at 2538 2200.