|Duration of Study|
|Mode of Study|
|Offering Campus(es) / Venue(s)|
(Class venue : VTC Kowloon Bay Complex / VTC Pokfulam Complex)
(Class and training venues include but not limited to International Culinary Institute, VTC Pokfulam Complex, VTC Kowloon Bay Complex, Tin Shui Wai Training Centre, Chinese Training Restaurant and Western Training Restaurant at Pokfulam, The T Hotel, Training Café and Western Training Restaurant at Kowloon Bay.)
Completion of Secondary 6 (under the New Senior Secondary academic structure); OR completion of Secondary 5 with a pass in the HTI / CCI / ICI bridging course; OR Equivalent.
- Provides training of trade-specific skills, knowledge of traditional and contemporary culinary arts for students who wish to pursue a career in culinary arts within the catering industry
- Enables students to develop professional skills, attitudes and knowledge of international culinary arts as a professional chef and to improve their career potential
- Provides students with opportunities to explore their career development and enhance their competitiveness as well as employability while becoming life-long learners
Upon graduation, graduates may start their careers in operative positions like Junior Chef in high-end restaurants, hotels, resorts, and private clubs. By accumulating relevant experience in the industry, they may advance to supervisory positions such as Chef de Partie, Sous Chef, Chef de Cuisine, and Executive Chef.
Students who study food preparation and catering programmes are required to take the food hygiene and safety module. Students who have attained the specified score or above at the relevant examination will be awarded the “Basic Food Hygiene Certificate for Hygiene Managers” which is recognised by the Food and Environmental Hygiene Department, HKSAR.
Graduates of Diploma in International Culinary Arts (QF Level 3) who have at least one-year post-qualification work experience and minimum 22 years of age can sit for the “Certified Cook” Trade Test that is jointly offered by the International Culinary Institute and the Education Centre of the Hospitality Industry for Business & Management, Koblenz, Gastronomisches Bildungszentrum Koblenz e.V., Germany, IHK-Akademie Koblenz e.V.. Successful candidates will be awarded “Certified Cook”.
QF Level: 3
QR Registration No.: 18/000763/L3
Validity Period: 01/10/2018 - 31/08/2026
- Medium of Instruction: Chinese supplemented with English Terminology.
- Students may be required to attend classes on other VTC campuses. VTC reserves the right to cancel any programme, revise programme content or change the offering institute(s) / campus(es) / class venue(s) if circumstances so warrant.
- Students enrolling for this programme must maintain the health standards required of a food handler throughout the duration of training. This encompasses taking a medical check, at students’ own expenses, which includes chest X-ray, urine routine, stool routine, stool culture, hepatitis A virus Ab lgG.
- For students who have a negative hepatitis A virus antibody result, a vaccine is recommended.
- Students are required to have a medical check, purchase and wear the designated uniform and safety shoes where applicable, at their own costs. Institute reserves the rights not to admit students who fail to follow this clause.
- Items listed in the curriculum are key modules only, more modules are included in the programme.
- Upon completion of the food hygiene and safety module, students may sit for the “Level 2 Award in Food Safety and Hygiene” examination offered by the Royal Society for Public Heath (RSPH), UK at their own expense. Successful candidates will be awarded a certificate.
- Subject to training requirements, students may be arranged to attend lessons or to undergo practical training which may be scheduled on evenings, Saturdays, Sundays or Public Holidays at other campuses or venues.
- The programmes are geared to prepare students for employment after graduation. Graduates may articulate to Professional Certificate / Professional Diploma programmes after having accumulated work experiences in the industry. For enquiries, please call the Institutes at 2538 2200.