- S6 Full time
- Higher Diploma
- Higher Diploma in Pharmaceutical Science
Higher Diploma in Pharmaceutical Science
The following section presents the programme information offered in September 2022. Information of programmes to be offered in academic year 2023/24 will be announced later.
|Duration of Study|
|Mode of Study|
|Offering Campus(es) / Venue(s)|
Five HKDSE subjects at Level 2 or above, including English Language and Chinese Language; OR VTC Diploma of Foundation Studies; OR VTC Diploma of Vocational Education / Diploma of Vocational Baccalaureate; OR Diploma Yi Jin; OR Equivalent.
- An "Attained", "Attained with Distinction (I)" and "Attained with Distinction (II)" in an HKDSE Applied Learning (ApL) subject (Category B subjects) are regarded as equivalent to an HKDSE subject at "Level 2", "Level 3" and "Level 4" respectively, and a maximum of two ApL subjects (excluding ApL(C)) can be counted for admission purpose.
- A "Grade D or E" and a "Grade C or above" in an HKDSE Other Language subject (Category C subjects) are regarded as equivalent to an HKDSE subject at "Level 2" and "Level 3" respectively, and one Other Language subject can be counted for admission purpose.
- Applicable to holders of Diploma in Vocational Education / Diploma of Vocational Education (DVE) (students admitted to DVE in AY2017/18 or before are required to complete prescribed further studies modules).
- Upon completion of the Diploma of Vocational Baccalaureate (DVB) Programmes, students can progress to higher diploma programmes in VTC, subject to their BTEC and IGCSE results. Applications will be assessed individually by the departments concerned.
- This programme is only applicable to applicants with HKDSE Chinese Language qualifications.
Students may choose one of the following streams so as to enhance professional knowledge and skills in specific areas :
- Higher Diploma in Pharmaceutical Science (Technology and Management)
- Higher Diploma in Pharmaceutical Science (Chinese Medicines)
The 1st semester is a common semester. Students will progress to the stream in the 2nd semester. Students will be required to attend a test in Semester 1 to determine the studied stream, subject to their choice, test performance and availability of places in specific streams.
|Programme Aims|Click here to view the programme highlights video (narration in Cantonese)
This programme aims to equip students with wide range of knowledge, skills and techniques in pharmaceutical science including pharmaceutical manufacturing, quality control and operation management.
This programme is designed with an emphasis on generic and language training, whole-person development and workplace experience to better prepare students for further studies and employment after graduation.
Graduates of the Technology and Management Stream can be employed as technical / supervisory staff of pharmaceutical manufacturers, or as medical representatives / product registration executives of pharmaceutical traders.
Graduates of the Chinese Medicines Stream can be employed as dispensers in Chinese medicine dispensaries, or as technical / supervisory staff in testing laboratories or as research assistants in research institutes for Chinese medicine industries.
Graduates can apply for admission to the following programmes :
# It is a matter of discretion for individual employers to recognize any qualification to which this course may lead. Please refer to the corresponding programme page in the website of SHAPE.
- Bachelor of Science in Chinese Medicinal Pharmaceutics (Reg No. 231191)# offered by the China Pharmaceutical University (in collaboration with SHAPE) (2 years part-time)
- Bachelor of Science (Hons) in Chinese Medicinal Pharmacy offered by the Technological and Higher Education Institute of Hong Kong (THEi);
- Bachelor of Science (Hons) in Testing and Certification offered by the Technological and Higher Education Institute of Hong Kong (THEi); and
- Bachelor of Science (Hons) in Health Care offered by the Technological and Higher Education Institute of Hong Kong (THEi)
Graduates from Chinese Medicines Stream possess at least 1 year of relevant working experience in manufacturing of proprietary Chinese medicines or dispensing of Chinese herbal medicines are recognized by Chinese Medicine Council of Hong Kong as qualified to be nominated to be the person in charge of the supervision of Manufacturer in proprietary Chinese medicines or Retailer in Chinese herbal medicines.
Technology and Management Stream is recognized by Pharmacy and Poisons Board, Hong Kong as a recognized qualification for the heads of production or quality control in GMP pharmaceutical manufacturers.
Students may be required to attend classes on other VTC campuses. VTC reserves the right to cancel any programme, revise programme content or change the offering institute(s) / campus(es) / class venue(s) if circumstances so warrant.