|Duration of Study|
|Mode of Study|
|Offering Campus(es) / Venue(s)|
|Average Result of Admitted Students in 2018 (Note 1)|
Five HKDSE subjects at Level 2 or above, including English Language and Chinese Language; OR VTC Foundation Diploma (Level 3) / Diploma of Foundation Studies; OR VTC Diploma in Vocational Education / Diploma of Vocational Education; OR Yi Jin Diploma / Diploma Yi Jin; OR Equivalent.
- An "Attained", "Attained with Distinction (I)" and "Attained with Distinction (II)" in an HKDSE Applied Learning (ApL) subject (Category B subjects) are regarded as equivalent to an HKDSE subject at "Level 2", "Level 3" and "Level 4" respectively, and a maximum of two ApL subjects (excluding ApL(C)) can be counted for admission purpose.
- A "Grade D or E" and a "Grade C or above" in an HKDSE Other Language subject (Category C subjects) are regarded as equivalent to an HKDSE subject at "Level 2" and "Level 3" respectively, and one Other Language subject can be counted for admission purpose.
- Applicable to holders of Diploma in Vocational Education / Diploma of Vocational Education (DVE) (students admitted to DVE in AY2017/18 or before are required to complete prescribed further studies modules).
Students may choose one of the following streams so as to enhance professional knowledge and skills in specific areas :
- Higher Diploma in Analytical Science (Analytical Chemistry)
- Higher Diploma in Analytical Science (Testing and Certification)
The 1st semester is a common semester. Students will progress to the stream in the 2nd semester. Students will be required to attend a test in Semester 1 to determine the studied stream, subject to their choice, test performance and availability of places in specific streams.
This programme aims to provide students with comprehensive knowledge and practical skills on analytical science with particular emphasis on training of analytical instrumentation and testing techniques.
This programme is designed with an emphasis on generic and language training, whole-person development and workplace experience to better prepare students for further studies and employment after graduation.
Graduates may be employed as laboratory analysts or technicians in consumer product safety testing, pharmaceutical and food testing, environmental analysis and research and development in accredited or commercial testing laboratories. Other opportunities include career development in laboratory quality management and technical sales of scientific products.
Graduates can apply for admission to the following programmes :
- Bachelor of Science (Hons) in Testing and Certification offered by Technological and Higher Education Institute of Hong Kong (THEi);
- Bachelor of Science (Hons) Environmental Science offered by the Plymouth University, United Kingdom; and
- Bachelor of Science (Hons) Chemistry offered by the Plymouth University, United Kingdom.
This programme is recognised by the following professional bodies in Hong Kong and overseas:
- Royal Society of Chemistry: Graduates possessing 1 year related working experience can apply for Registered Scientist (RSci) as an Affiliate Member and can be upgraded to Associate Member (AMRSC).
- Hong Kong Association for Testing, Inspection and Certification :
- Graduates with 2 years of relevant testing experience can obtain direct entry to Certified Testing Technician (CTT) under the Chemical Testing category.
- Graduates with 5 years of relevant testing and supervisory experience and satisfactory results in professional assessment by interview are eligible for certification of Certified Testing Professional (CTP) under the Chemical Testing category.
- Average result in 2018 refers to average score of the best 5 HKDSE subjects, including English Language and Chinese Language, of admitted students in 2018 for reference only.
(Scoring scale: 5**=7 points; 5*=6 points; 5=5 points; 4=4 points; 3=3 points; 2=2 points; 1=1 point)
- Students may be required to attend classes on other VTC campuses. VTC reserves the right to cancel any programme, revise programme content or change the offering institute(s) / campus(es) / class venue(s) if circumstances so warrant.