- S6 Full time
- Higher Diploma
- Higher Diploma in Biomedical Science
Higher Diploma in Biomedical Science
The following section presents the programme information offered in September 2019. Information of programmes to be offered in academic year 2020/21 will be announced in late November 2019.
|Duration of Study|
|Mode of Study|
|Offering Campus(es) / Venue(s)|
Five HKDSE subjects at Level 2 or above, including English Language and Chinese Language; OR VTC Foundation Diploma (Level 3) / Diploma of Foundation Studies; OR VTC Diploma in Vocational Education / Diploma of Vocational Education; OR Yi Jin Diploma / Diploma Yi Jin; OR Equivalent.
- An "Attained", "Attained with Distinction (I)" and "Attained with Distinction (II)" in an HKDSE Applied Learning (ApL) subject (Category B subjects) are regarded as equivalent to an HKDSE subject at "Level 2", "Level 3" and "Level 4" respectively, and a maximum of two ApL subjects (excluding ApL(C)) can be counted for admission purpose.
- A "Grade D or E" and a "Grade C or above" in an HKDSE Other Language subject (Category C subjects) are regarded as equivalent to an HKDSE subject at "Level 2" and "Level 3" respectively, and one Other Language subject can be counted for admission purpose.
- Applicable to holders of Diploma in Vocational Education / Diploma of Vocational Education (DVE) (students admitted to DVE in AY2017/18 or before are required to complete prescribed further studies modules).
This programme aims to equip students with wide range of knowledge, skills and techniques in biomedical science including biomedical analysis and medical testing.
This programme is designed with an emphasis on generic and language training, whole-person development and workplace experience to better prepare students for further studies and employment after graduation.
Graduates may be employed as medical laboratory assistants, research assistants, technicians in quality control and product development, product specialists.
Graduates can apply for admission to the following programmes :
# It is a matter of discretion for individual employers to recognize any qualification to which this course may lead. Please refer to the corresponding programme page in the website of SHAPE.
- Bachelor of Science (Hons) in Testing and Certification offered by Technological and Higher Education Institute of Hong Kong (THEi);
- Bachelor of Science (Hons) in Food Science and Safety offered by Technological and Higher Education Institute of Hong Kong (THEi);
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science offered by Queensland University of Technology, Australia;
- Bachelor of Science (Hons) in Biomedical Science offered by University of Ulster, United Kingdom; and
- Bachelor of Science (Hons) Human Biosciences (Reg. No. 252701)# offered by Coventry University, United Kingdom (in collaboration with SHAPE).
Graduates are eligible to apply for Intermediate membership of Australian Institute of Medical Scientists.
Students may be required to attend classes on other VTC campuses. VTC reserves the right to cancel any programme, revise programme content or change the offering institute(s) / campus(es) / class venue(s) if circumstances so warrant.