- S6 Full time
- Higher Diploma
- Higher Diploma in Biotechnology
Higher Diploma in Biotechnology
The following section presents the programme information offered in September 2023. Application information for AY 2024/25 will be announced in early November 2023.
|Duration of Study|
|Mode of Study|
|Offering Campus(es) / Venue(s)|
Five HKDSE subjects at Level 2 or above, including English Language and Chinese Language; OR VTC Diploma of Foundation Studies; OR VTC Diploma of Vocational Education / Diploma of Vocational Baccalaureate; OR Diploma Yi Jin; OR Equivalent.
- An "Attained", "Attained with Distinction (I)" and "Attained with Distinction (II)" in an HKDSE Applied Learning (ApL) subject (Category B subjects) are regarded as equivalent to an HKDSE subject at "Level 2", "Level 3" and "Level 4" respectively, and a maximum of two ApL subjects (excluding ApL(C)) can be counted for admission purpose.
- A "Grade D or E" and a "Grade C or above" in an HKDSE Other Language subject (Category C subjects) are regarded as equivalent to an HKDSE subject at "Level 2" and "Level 3" respectively, and one Other Language subject can be counted for admission purpose.
- Applicable to holders of Diploma in Vocational Education / Diploma of Vocational Education (DVE) (students admitted to DVE in AY2017/18 or before are required to complete prescribed further studies modules).
- Upon completion of the Diploma of Vocational Baccalaureate (DVB) Programmes, students can progress to higher diploma programmes in VTC, subject to their BTEC and IGCSE results.
|Programme Aims|Click here to view the programme highlights video (narration in Cantonese)
This programme aims to meet the increasing manpower demand in biotechnology development and related biological product market by equipping students with vocational education and training in biotechnology.
This programme is designed with an emphasis on generic and language training, whole-person development and workplace experience to better prepare students for further studies and employment after graduation.
Graduates should be able to obtain employment in government departments, research laboratories in universities and hospitals, animal laboratories, biotechnology companies, testing laboratories, Ocean Park, etc.
Graduates can apply for further study in local or overseas universities and other Bachelor degrees listed below :
# It is a matter of discretion for individual employers to recognize any qualification to which this course may lead. Please refer to the corresponding programme page in the website of SHAPE.
- Bachelor of Science (Hons) in Testing and Certification offered by the Technological and Higher Education Institute of Hong Kong (THEi);
- Bachelor of Science (Hons) in Food Science and Safety offered by the Technological and Higher Education Institute of Hong Kong (THEi);
- Bachelor of Science (Hons) Biology offered by the University of Ulster, United Kingdom;
- Bachelor of Science (Hons) Biological Science offered by the Edinburgh Napier University, United Kingdom;
- Bachelor of Science (Hons) Biomedical Science offered by the Edinburgh Napier University, United Kingdom;
- Bachelor of Science (Hons) Applied Microbiology offered by the Edinburgh Napier University, United Kingdom; and
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science offered by the Queensland University of Technology, Australia.
- Bachelor of Science (Hons) Human Biosciences (Reg no. 252701)# offered by the Coventry University, United Kingdom (in collaboration with SHAPE).
Many professional bodies in Hong Kong and overseas acknowledge the quality of our programmes, including:
- Royal Society of Biology
- Hong Kong Association for Testing, Inspection and Certification
Students may be required to attend classes on other VTC campuses. VTC reserves the right to cancel any programme, revise programme content or change the offering institute(s) / campus(es) / class venue(s) if circumstances so warrant.