|Duration of Study|
|Mode of Study|
|Offering Campus(es) / Venue(s)|
(Class and training venues include but not limited to International Culinary Institute, VTC Pokfulam Complex, VTC Kowloon Bay Complex, Tin Shui Wai Training Centre, Chinese Training Restaurant and Western Training Restaurant at Pokfulam, The T Hotel, Training Café and Western Training Restaurant at Kowloon Bay.)
Five HKDSE subjects at Level 2 or above, including English Language and Chinese Language; OR VTC Diploma of Foundation Studies; OR VTC Diploma of Vocational Education / Diploma of Vocational Baccalaureate; OR Diploma Yi Jin; OR Equivalent.
- An "Attained", "Attained with Distinction (I)" and "Attained with Distinction (II)" in an HKDSE Applied Learning (ApL) subject (Category B subjects) are regarded as equivalent to an HKDSE subject at "Level 2", "Level 3" and "Level 4" respectively, and a maximum of two ApL subjects (excluding ApL(C)) can be counted for admission purpose.
- A "Grade D or E" and a "Grade C or above" in an HKDSE Other Language subject (Category C subjects) are regarded as equivalent to an HKDSE subject at "Level 2" and "Level 3" respectively, and one Other Language subject can be counted for admission purpose.
- Applicable to holders of Diploma in Vocational Education / Diploma of Vocational Education (DVE) (students admitted to DVE in AY2017/18 or before are required to complete prescribed further studies modules).
- Upon completion of the Diploma of Vocational Baccalaureate (DVB) Programmes, students can progress to higher diploma programmes in VTC, subject to their BTEC and IGCSE results.
Students may choose one of the following streams in the third semester, subject to their choice, academic performance and availability of places in the stream, so as to enhance their professional knowledge and skills in the respective study area :
- Western Cuisine (ICI campus)
- Chinese Cuisine (CCI campus)
- Prepares students to work in the vibrant and ever-growing catering industry, and develops their intellectual and professional competencies to meet the industry's demand for a new generation of chefs possessing not only multi-culinary and management skills, but also a professional mindset and work attitude
- Provides a broad range of topics in Chinese & Western culinary arts & sciences, and clusters of culinary stream specific modules to enhance student's knowledge and skills in national / international culinary arts, in order to help students realise their interests and career aspirations
- Structured to guide students to attain knowledge in culinary niches and develop management know-how in culinary operations and catering businesses in a holistic manner
Graduates will be professionally ready to take up operative positions like junior chef, available in a wide range of catering establishments such as restaurants, hotels, resorts, theme parks, and clubhouses. By accumulating relevant experience in the industry, they will become highly capable candidates for supervisory and management positions like Chef de Partie, Sous Chef, Chef de Cuisine, and Executive Chef.
Graduates who choose to pursue further studies may apply for admission to relevant accredited degree programmes offered by local or overseas institutions, e.g.:
- BA (Hons) in Culinary Arts Management offered by the Technological and Higher Education Institute of Hong Kong (THEi)
- BA (Hons) in Culinary Arts Management or BA(Hons) in International Hospitality and Tourism Management offered by the University College Birmingham* in UK
* Applicants should meet the English language requirement set out by the University, i.e. HKDSE English Language at Level 3 or above (with all components at Level 3 or above) / IELTS with an overall score of 6.0 or above (with all components at score 5.5 or above) or equivalent
(Interview may be required for certain programmes)
Students who study food preparation and catering programmes are required to take the food hygiene and safety module. Students who have attained the specified score or above at the relevant examination will be awarded the “Basic Food Hygiene Certificate for Hygiene Supervisors” which is recognised by the Food and Environmental Hygiene Department, HKSAR.
Graduates of Higher Diploma in Culinary Arts (Western Cuisine) who have at least one-year post-qualification work experience and minimum 22 years of age can sit for the “Certified Cook” Trade Test that is jointly offered by the International Culinary Institute and the Education Centre of the Hospitality Industry for Business & Management, Koblenz, Gastronomisches Bildungszentrum Koblenz e.V., IHK-Akademie Koblenz e.V., Germany. Successful candidates will be awarded “Certified Cook”.
Graduates of Higher Diploma in Culinary Arts (Chinese Cuisine) can sit for the trade test offered by the Chinese Culinary Institute. Successful candidates will be awarded a Certificate for Chinese Chef (Elementary Level).
- Except for modules of specific content, the medium of instruction for this programme is English.
- Students may be required to attend classes on other VTC campuses. VTC reserves the right to cancel any programme, revise programme content or change the offering institute(s) / campus(es) / class venue(s) if circumstances so warrant.
- Students enrolling for this programme must maintain the health standards required of a food handler throughout the duration of training. This encompasses taking a medical check, at students’ own expenses, which includes chest X-ray, urine routine, stool routine, stool culture, hepatitis A virus Ab lgG.
- For students who have a negative hepatitis A virus antibody result, a vaccine is recommended.
- Students are required to have a medical check, purchase the designated reference books, uniform and safety shoes where applicable, at their own costs. Institute reserves the rights not to admit students who fail to follow this clause.
- Items listed in the curriculum are key modules only, more modules are included in the programme.
- Upon completion of the food hygiene and safety module, students may sit for the “Level 2 Award in Food Safety and Hygiene” examination offered by the Royal Society for Public Heath (RSPH), UK at their own expense. Successful candidates will be awarded a certificate.
- Subject to training requirements, students may be arranged to attend lessons or to undergo practical training which may be scheduled on evenings, Saturdays, Sundays or Public Holidays at other campuses or venues.