|Duration of Study|
|Mode of Study|
|Offering Campus(es) / Venue(s)|
(Class and training venues include but not limited to International Culinary Institute, VTC Pokfulam Complex, VTC Kowloon Bay Complex, Tin Shui Wai Training Centre, Chinese Training Restaurant and Western Training Restaurant at Pokfulam, The T Hotel, Training Café and Western Training Restaurant at Kowloon Bay.)
Five HKDSE subjects at Level 2 or above, including English Language and Chinese Language; OR VTC Diploma of Foundation Studies; OR VTC Diploma of Vocational Education / Diploma of Vocational Baccalaureate; OR Diploma Yi Jin; OR Equivalent.
- An "Attained", "Attained with Distinction (I)" and "Attained with Distinction (II)" in an HKDSE Applied Learning (ApL) subject (Category B subjects) are regarded as equivalent to an HKDSE subject at "Level 2", "Level 3" and "Level 4" respectively, and a maximum of two ApL subjects (excluding ApL(C)) can be counted for admission purpose.
- A "Grade D or E" and a "Grade C or above" in an HKDSE Other Language subject (Category C subjects) are regarded as equivalent to an HKDSE subject at "Level 2" and "Level 3" respectively, and one Other Language subject can be counted for admission purpose.
- Applicable to holders of Diploma in Vocational Education / Diploma of Vocational Education (DVE) (students admitted to DVE in AY2017/18 or before are required to complete prescribed further studies modules).
- Upon completion of the Diploma of Vocational Baccalaureate (DVB) Programmes, students can progress to higher diploma programmes in VTC, subject to their BTEC and IGCSE results.
- Equips students with bakery, pastry and confectionery knowledge and management skills, and apply them to baking and pastry operations so as to prepare them for supervisory roles in the hospitality industry
- Cultivates students' notion for lifelong learning and develops students to become independent learners with a global perspective for further studies and professional development in the local, national and international hospitality arena
- Equips students with the necessary technical and professional knowledge and skills, initially at paraprofessional level, through a mix of theoretical and practical application
Upon graduation, graduates may start their careers in operative positions like Junior Pastry Chef, in patisseries, bakeries, cafés, restaurants, hotels, resorts, theme parks, clubhouses and more. By accumulating relevant experience in the industry, they can advance to supervisory positions such as Demi-Chef, Chef de Partie, and Pastry Chef. Equipped with management know-how in bakery and pastry operations and business, graduates may also choose to open their own bakery, pastry shop or café.
Graduates who choose to pursue further studies may apply for admission to relevant accredited degree programmes offered by local or overseas institutions, e.g.:
- BA (Hons) in Culinary Arts Management offered by the Technological and Higher Education Institute of Hong Kong (THEi)
- BSc (Hons) in Bakery and Patisserie Technology or BA(Hons) in International Hospitality and Tourism Management offered by the University College Birmingham* in UK
* Applicants should meet the English language requirement set out by the University, i.e. HKDSE English Language at Level 3 or above (with all components at Level 3 or above) / IELTS with an overall score of 6.0 or above (with all components at score 5.5 or above) or equivalent
(Interview may be required for certain programmes)
- Institute of Hospitality (IOH), UK
Graduates who successfully completed the programme are eligible to apply for IoH membership
- Students who study food preparation and catering programmes are required to take the food hygiene and safety module. Students who have attained the specified score or above at the relevant examination will be awarded the “Basic FoodHygiene Certificate for Hygiene Supervisors” which is recognised by the Food and Environmental Hygiene Department, HKSAR.
- Graduates of Higher Diploma in Baking and Pastry Arts who meet the following entrance requirements can sit for the “Certified Pastry Cook” Trade Test that is jointly offered by the International Culinary Institute and the Handwerkskammer Koblenz (Chamber of Skilled Crafts) HwK Koblenz, Germany. Successful candidates will be awarded “Certified Pastry Cook”.
- Minimum 22 years of age
- Minimum of 1 year’s relevant work experience
- Relevant Certificate in Hygiene and Safety
- Except for modules of specific content, the medium of instruction for this programme is English and may be supplemented with Chinese, as when and where required.
- Students may be required to attend classes on other VTC campuses. VTC reserves the right to cancel any programme, revise programme content or change the offering institute(s) / campus(es) / class venue(s) if circumstances so warrant.
- Students enrolling for this programme must maintain the health standards required of a food handler throughout the duration of training. This encompasses taking a medical check, at students’ own expenses, which includes chest X-ray, urine routine, stool routine, stool culture, hepatitis A virus Ab lgG.
- For students who have a negative hepatitis A virus antibody result, a vaccine is recommended.
- Students are required to have a medical check, purchase the designated reference books, uniform and safety shoes where applicable, at their own costs. Institute reserves the rights not to admit students who fail to follow this clause.
- Items listed in the curriculum are key modules only, more modules are included in the programme.
- Upon completion of the food hygiene and safety module, students may sit for the “Level 2 Award in Food Safety and Hygiene” examination offered by the Royal Society for Public Heath (RSPH), UK at their own expense. Successful candidates will be awarded a certificate.
- Subject to training requirements, students may be arranged to attend lessons or to undergo practical training which may be scheduled on evenings, Saturdays, Sundays or Public Holidays at other campuses or venues.