|Duration of Study
|Mode of Study
|Offering Campus(es) / Venue(s)
(Class and training venues include but not limited to International Culinary Institute, VTC Pokfulam Complex, VTC Kowloon Bay Complex, Tin Shui Wai Training Centre, Chinese Training Restaurant and Western Training Restaurant at Pokfulam, The T Hotel, Training Café and Western Training Restaurant at Kowloon Bay.)
- The programme provides professional training for students who wish to pursue a career in the Chinese catering industry. Programme contents include training on southern and other regional Chinese cuisine, food hygiene, food cost control, operation and management skills in Chinese catering establishments.
- The integrated learning experience in the training restaurants enables students to integrate their skills into practice and develop their readiness for employment and / or further professional development.
- “One Trade Test, Two Certificates”: Graduates who have successfully passed the trade test will be awarded the professional recognition of “Chinese Chef Certificate (Elementary Level)” and the “National Occupational Qualification Certificate” issued by the Institute.
Students who study food preparation and catering programmes are required to take the food hygiene and safety module. Students who have attained the specified score or above at the relevant examination will be awarded the “Basic Food Hygiene Certificate for Hygiene Managers” which is recognised by the Food and Environmental Hygiene Department in Hong Kong.
QF Level: 3
QR Registration No.: 15/002721/L3
Validity Period: 01/09/2015 - 31/08/2026
- Medium of Instruction: Chinese supplemented with English Terminology.
- Students may be required to attend classes on other VTC campuses. VTC reserves the right to cancel any programme, revise programme title, content or change the offering institute(s) / campus(es) / class venue(s) if circumstances so warrant.
- Students enrolling for this programme must maintain the health standards required of a food handler throughout the duration of training. This encompasses taking a medical check, at students’ own expenses, which includes chest X-ray, urine routine, stool routine, stool culture, hepatitis A virus Ab lgG.
- For students who have a negative hepatitis A virus antibody result, a vaccine is recommended.
- Students are required to have a medical check, purchase the designated reference books, uniform and shoes where applicable, at their own costs. Institute reserves the rights not to admit students who fail to follow this clause.
- Items listed in the curriculum are key modules only, more modules are included in the programme.
- Upon completion of the food hygiene and safety module, students may sit for the “Level 2 Award in Food Safety and Hygiene” examination offered by the Royal Society for Public Heath (RSPH), UK at their own expense. Successful candidates will be awarded a certificate.
- Applicants should have good sense of smell.
- Subject to training requirements, students may be arranged to attend lessons or to undergo practical training which may be scheduled on evenings, Saturdays, Sundays or Public Holidays at other campuses or venues.
- The programmes are geared to prepare students for employment after graduation. Graduates may articulate to Professional Certificate / Professional Diploma programmes after having accumulated work experiences in the industry. For enquiries, please call the Institutes at 2538 2200.