|Duration of Study|
|Mode of Study|
|Offering Campus(es) / Venue(s)|
(Class and training venues include but not limited to International Culinary Institute, VTC Pokfulam Complex, VTC Kowloon Bay Complex, Tin Shui Wai Training Centre, Chinese Training Restaurant and Western Training Restaurant at Pokfulam, The T Hotel, Training Café and Western Training Restaurant at Kowloon Bay.)
- The programme equips students to work in the catering industry and develops their intellectual and professional knowledge to meet the industry's demand for chefs with professional work attitude, and classic western cuisine and fine dining focused techniques
- Enables students to master classic French and European culinary techniques and adapt them to global standards for career development in hotel, restaurant and catering industries
- Provides a unique learning experience aimed at enhancing technical skills and stimulating creativity with an emphasis on hands-on learning approach
- Offers students to participate in culinary demonstrations conducted by visiting local and international guest chefs, providing them with valuable exposure
- Facilitates students' active involvement in local, regional, and international culinary competitions, along with the opportunity to participate in international exchange programmes with culinary organisations abroad
Students who study food preparation and catering programmes are required to take the food hygiene and safety module. Students who have attained the specified score or above at the relevant examination will be awarded the “Basic Food Hygiene Certificate for Hygiene Supervisors” which is recognised by the Food and Environmental Hygiene Department in Hong Kong.
Graduates of Higher Diploma in Classic Western Cuisine who have at least one-year post-qualification work experience and minimum 22 years of age can sit for the “Certified Cook” Trade Test that is jointly offered by the International Culinary Institute and the Education Centre of the Hospitality Industry for Business & Management, Koblenz, Gastronomisches Bildungszentrum Koblenz e.V., IHK-Akademie Koblenz e.V.. Successful candidates will be awarded “Certified Cook”.
- Except for modules of specific content, the medium of instruction for this programme is English.
- Students may be required to attend classes on other VTC campuses. VTC reserves the right to cancel any programme, revise programme title, content or change the offering institute(s) / campus(es) / class venue(s) if circumstances so warrant.
- Students enrolling for this programme must maintain the health standards required of a food handler throughout the duration of training. This encompasses taking a medical check, at students’ own expenses, which includes chest X-ray, urine routine, stool routine, stool culture, hepatitis A virus Ab lgG.
- For students who have a negative hepatitis A virus antibody result, a vaccine is recommended.
- Students are required to have a medical check, purchase the designated reference books, uniform and safety shoes where applicable, at their own costs. Institute reserves the rights not to admit students who fail to follow this clause.
- Items listed in the curriculum are key modules only, more modules are included in the programme.
- Upon completion of the food hygiene and safety module, students may sit for the “Level 2 Award in Food Safety and Hygiene” examination offered by the Royal Society for Public Heath (RSPH), UK at their own expense. Successful candidates will be awarded a certificate.
- Subject to training requirements, students may be arranged to attend lessons or to undergo practical training which may be scheduled on evenings, Saturdays, Sundays or Public Holidays at other campuses or venues.