|Duration of Study|
|Mode of Study|
|Offering Campus(es) / Venue(s)|
(Class and training venues include but not limited to International Culinary Institute, VTC Pokfulam Complex, VTC Kowloon Bay Complex, Tin Shui Wai Training Centre, Chinese Training Restaurant and Western Training Restaurant at Pokfulam, The T Hotel, Training Café and Western Training Restaurant at Kowloon Bay.)
Completion of Secondary 3 or equivalent
- Aims to provide students with essential knowledge and skills in hotel operations. It integrates a defined range of key technical and operational skills required by entry-level staff who provide food and beverage, front office and housekeeping services.
- Offers three core modules of Front Office, Housekeeping and Food and Beverage.
- Students are able to extend their knowledge and skills in other study areas relevant to hotel operations with a view to widening their exposure for articulation or employment opportunities.
- Emphasises hands-on experience. Students will undergo practical training and Integrated Learning Experience in the training hotel and restaurants to shape their attitudes and professionalism in hotel industry.
- Students who have successfully passed the programme with prescribed module can choose to pursue further studies in Diploma programmes in Hotel / Food & Beverage / Chinese Cuisine / International Cuisines offered by the Institutes or start their career in operative positions available in the industries.
Upon graduation, job placement assistance will be provided to facilitate graduates to join the hotel, catering and tourism industries, such as Front Desk Agent, Concierge Clerk, Room Attendant, Food & Beverage Hostess/Server, Commis, Spa Concierge or Events Coordinator. By accumulating relevant experience in the industry, graduates can further progress to senior positions.
Students who have successfully passed the programme with prescribed module can choose to articulate to Diploma in Hotel / Food & Beverage / Chinese Cuisine / International Cuisines programmes offered by the Institutes.
Students who study food preparation and catering programmes are required to take the food hygiene and safety module. Students who have attained the specified score or above at the relevant examination will be awarded the “Basic Food Hygiene Certificate for Hygiene Supervisors” which is recognised by the Food and Environmental Hygiene Department in Hong Kong.
QF Level: 2
QR Registration No.: 15/002812/L2
Validity Period: 01/09/2015 - 31/08/2026
- Medium of Instruction: Chinese supplemented with English terminology.
- Students may be required to attend classes on other VTC campuses. VTC reserves the right to cancel any programme, revise programme content or change the offering institute(s) / campus(es) / class venue(s) if circumstances so warrant.
- Students enrolling for this programme must maintain the health standards required of a food handler throughout the duration of training. This encompasses taking a medical check, at students' own expenses, which includes chest X-ray, urine routine, stool routine, stool culture, hepatitis A virus Ab lgG.
- For students who have a negative hepatitis A virus antibody result, a vaccine is recommended.
- Students are required to have a medical check, purchase the designated programme reference books, wear the designated uniform and safety shoes where applicable, at their own costs. Institute reserves the rights not to admit students who fail to follow this clause.
- Items listed in the curriculum are key modules only, more modules are included in the programme.
- Upon completion of the food hygiene and safety module, students may sit for the “Level 2 Award in Food Safety and Hygiene” examination offered by the Royal Society for Public Heath (RSPH), UK at their own expense. Successful candidates will be awarded a certificate.
- Applicants should have good sense of smell.
- Subject to training requirements, students may be arranged to attend lessons or to undergo practical training which may be scheduled on evenings, Saturdays, Sundays or Public Holidays at other campuses or venues.