|Duration of Study|
|Mode of Study|
|Offering Campus(es) / Venue(s)|
(Class and training venues include but not limited to International Culinary Institute, VTC Pokfulam Complex, VTC Kowloon Bay Complex, Tin Shui Wai Training Centre, Chinese Training Restaurant and Western Training Restaurant at Pokfulam, The T Hotel, Training Café and Western Training Restaurant at Kowloon Bay.)
Completion of Secondary 6 (under the New Senior Secondary academic structure); OR completion of Secondary 5 with a pass in the HTI / CCI / ICI bridging course; OR Equivalent.
- Aims to provide professional knowledge and skills training for those who wish to pursue a career in the hotel and catering industry. It enables students to apply food and beverage, wine & spirit and tea, event operations and service knowledge in a hospitality and catering industry context
- Provides enrichment modules on cocktail, barista, bartending, tea master and sommelier service to cultivate students’ professional ethics and attitude towards the hotel and catering industry
Upon graduation, job placement assistance will be provided to facilitate graduates to join the hotel, catering and tourism industries. By accumulating relevant experience in the industry, graduates can progress to bartender, beverage supervisor, barista, sommelier or food and beverage server / supervisor.
Students who study food preparation and catering programmes are required to take the food hygiene and safety module. Students who have attained the specified score or above at the relevant examination will be awarded the “Basic Food Hygiene Certificate for Hygiene Supervisors” which is recognised by the Food and Environmental Hygiene Department, HKSAR.
Students may obtain the below qualification by passing the relevant examinations:
- Foundation Barista Skill - Specialty Coffee Association (SCA)
- WSET Level 1 in Wines - Wine and Spirits Education Trust (WSET), UK
- Introduction to Bordeaux Wines - Conseil Interprofessionnel du Vin de Bordeaux (CIVB), France.
The Specialty Coffee Association (SCA)
Barista Skills – Foundation
QF Level: 3
QR Registration No.: 15/002713/L3
Validity Period: 01/09/2015 - 31/08/2026
- Medium of Instruction: Chinese supplemented with English Terminology.
- Students may be required to attend classes on other VTC campuses. VTC reserves the right to cancel any programme, revise programme content or change the offering institute(s) / campus(es) / class venue(s) if circumstances so warrant.
- Students enrolling for this programme must maintain the health standards required of a food handler throughout the duration of training. This encompasses taking a medical check, at students’ own expenses, which includes chest X-ray, urine routine, stool routine, stool culture, hepatitis A virus Ab lgG.
- For students who have a negative hepatitis A virus antibody result, a vaccine is recommended.
- Students are required to have a medical check, purchase the designated reference books, uniform and shoes where applicable, at their own costs. Institute reserves the rights not to admit students who fail to follow this clause.
- Items listed in the curriculum are key modules only, more modules are included in the programme.
- Upon completion of the food hygiene and safety module, students may sit for the “Level 2 Award in Food Safety and Hygiene” examination offered by the Royal Society for Public Heath (RSPH), UK at their own expense. Successful candidates will be awarded a certificate.
- Subject to training requirements, students may be arranged to attend lessons or to undergo practical training which may be scheduled on evenings, Saturdays, Sundays or Public Holidays at other campuses or venues.
- The programmes are geared to prepare students for employment after graduation. Graduates may articulate to Professional Certificate / Professional Diploma programmes after having accumulated work experiences in the industry. For enquiries, please call the Institutes at 2538 2200.