|Duration of Study|
|Mode of Study|
|Offering Campus(es) / Venue(s)|
(Class venue at Hotel and Tourism Institute (Tin Shui Wai).)
(Class and training venues include but not limited to International Culinary Institute, VTC Pokfulam Complex, VTC Kowloon Bay Complex, Tin Shui Wai Training Centre, Chinese Training Restaurant and Western Training Restaurant at Pokfulam, The T Hotel, Training Café and Western Training Restaurant at Kowloon Bay. )
Completion of Secondary 3 or equivalent
Aims to provide fundamental knowledge and skills training to those who wish to join the Japanese culinary industry. It enables students to acquire fundamental Teppanyaki cooking knowledge, skills and techniques to become a Teppanyaki Cook; and to cultivate professional ethics and attitude towards the industry.
Upon graduation, career counselling services will be provided to facilitate graduates to join the hotel, catering and tourism industries. Graduates may start a career at operative level in the Japanese culinary industry like junior cook. By accumulating relevant experience in the industry, they can progress to senior position as Assistant Chef.
Students who study food preparation and catering programmes are required to take the food hygiene and safety module. Students who have attained the specified score or above at the relevant examination will be awarded the “Basic Food Hygiene Certificate for Hygiene Supervisors” which is recognised by the Food and Environmental Hygiene Department in Hong Kong.
QF Level: 2
QR Registration No.: 15/002733/L2
Validity Period: 01/09/2015 - 31/08/2026
- Medium of Instruction: Chinese supplemented with English and Japanese terminology.
- Students may be required to attend classes on other VTC campuses. VTC reserves the right to cancel any programme, revise programme content or change the offering institute(s) / campus(es) / class venue(s) if circumstances so warrant.
- Students enrolling for this programme must maintain the health standards required of a food handler throughout the duration of training. This encompasses taking a medical check, at students' own expenses, which includes chest X-ray, urine routine, stool routine, stool culture, hepatitis A virus Ab lgG.
- For students who have a negative hepatitis A virus antibody result, a vaccine is recommended.
- Students are required to have a medical check, purchase the designated reference books, uniform and safety shoes where applicable, at their own costs. Institute reserves the rights not to admit students who fail to follow this clause.
- Items listed in the curriculum are key modules only, more modules are included in the programme.
- Applicants should have good sense of smell.
- Upon completion of the food hygiene and safety module, students may sit for the “Level 2 Award in Food Safety and Hygiene” examination offered by the Royal Society for Public Heath (RSPH), UK at their own expense. Successful candidates will be awarded a certificate.
- Subject to training requirements, students may be arranged to attend lessons or to undergo practical training which may be scheduled on evenings, Saturdays, Sundays or Public Holidays at other campuses or venues.