- S6 Full time
- Higher Diploma
- Higher Diploma in Child Care and Education
Higher Diploma in Child Care and Education
The following section presents the programme information offered in September 2023. Application information for AY 2024/25 will be announced in early November 2023.
|Duration of Study|
|Mode of Study|
|Offering Campus(es) / Venue(s)|
Five HKDSE subjects at Level 2 or above, including English Language and Chinese Language; OR VTC Diploma of Foundation Studies; OR VTC Diploma of Vocational Education / Diploma of Vocational Baccalaureate; OR Diploma Yi Jin; OR Equivalent.
- An "Attained", "Attained with Distinction (I)" and "Attained with Distinction (II)" in an HKDSE Applied Learning (ApL) subject (Category B subjects) are regarded as equivalent to an HKDSE subject at "Level 2", "Level 3" and "Level 4" respectively, and a maximum of two ApL subjects (excluding ApL(C)) can be counted for admission purpose.
- A "Grade D or E" and a "Grade C or above" in an HKDSE Other Language subject (Category C subjects) are regarded as equivalent to an HKDSE subject at "Level 2" and "Level 3" respectively, and one Other Language subject can be counted for admission purpose.
- This programme is only applicable to VTC Diploma in Vocational Education / Diploma of Vocational Education graduates who have completed Secondary 6 under New Senior Secondary Academic Structure (students admitted to DVE in AY2017/18 or before are required to complete prescribed further studies modules).
- Upon completion of the Diploma of Vocational Baccalaureate (DVB) Programmes, students can progress to higher diploma programmes in VTC, subject to their BTEC and IGCSE results. Applications will be assessed individually by the departments concerned.
- Applicants should note the HKSAR Government's requirement of academic qualifications for registration as a qualified kindergarten teacher in Hong Kong.
This programme aims to equip students with the professional knowledge, transferable skills and attitude for the future career in the field of early childhood education. Fieldwork placement opportunities are provided for the comprehensive learning of students to become professional early childhood educators.
This programme is designed with an emphasis on generic and language training, whole-person development and workplace experience to better prepare students for further studies and employment.
Graduates of the programme can work as kindergarten teachers, child care workers, child care supervisors and special child care workers.
Graduates can apply for admission to full-time / part-time bachelor degree programmes at various local and overseas universities, e.g.
# This 1-year full-time / 1.5-year part-time programme is offered in collaboration with VTC SHAPE. It is a matter of discretion for individual employers to recognize any qualification to which this course may lead. Please refer to the corresponding programme page in the website of SHAPE.
- Bachelor of Arts (Honours) Early Childhood, the University of the West of England, Bristol (Registration No. : 253201)#
- Bachelor of Education (Honours) (Early Childhood Education), the Education University of Hong Kong
- Bachelor of Education (Honours) (Early Childhood Education) in Leadership and Non-Chinese Speaking Children, the Education University of Hong Kong
- Bachelor of Arts (Honours) in Special Education, the Education University of Hong Kong
- Bachelor of Arts (Early Childhood Education), the Chinese University of Hong Kong
- Bachelor of Education (Honours) in Early Childhood Education, School of Continuing Education, the Hong Kong Baptist University
- Bachelor of Education (Honours) in Early Childhood Education, the Tung Wah College
- Bachelor of Education with Honours in Early Childhood Education (Leadership and Special Educational Needs), the Hong Kong Metropolitan University
- Bachelor of Science in Applied Child Development, the University of Hong Kong
- Bachelor of Health Education (Honours), the Education University of Hong Kong
The programme is recognised by the Education Bureau (EDB) and the Social Welfare Department (SWD) of the HKSAR Government. Graduates are eligible for registration as kindergarten teachers with the Education Bureau. They are also eligible for registration as child care workers, child care supervisors and special child care workers with the Social Welfare Department.
Students may be required to attend classes on other VTC campuses. VTC reserves the right to cancel any programme, revise programme content or change the offering institute(s) / campus(es) / class venue(s) if circumstances so warrant.