- S6 Full time
- Higher Diploma
- Higher Diploma in Law and Administration
Higher Diploma in Law and Administration
The following section presents the programme information offered in September 2018. Information of programmes to be offered in academic year 2019/20 will be announced in late November 2018.
|Duration of Study|
|Mode of Study|
|Offering Campus(es) / Venue(s)|
Five HKDSE subjects at Level 2 or above, including English Language and Chinese Language; OR VTC Foundation Diploma (Level 3) / Diploma of Foundation Studies; OR VTC Diploma in Vocational Education / Diploma of Vocational Education; OR Yi Jin Diploma / Diploma Yi Jin; OR Equivalent.
- An "Attained", "Attained with Distinction (I)" and "Attained with Distinction (II)" in an HKDSE Applied Learning (ApL) subject (Category B subjects) are regarded as equivalent to an HKDSE subject at "Level 2", "Level 3" and "Level 4" respectively, and a maximum of two ApL subjects (excluding ApL(C)) can be counted for admission purpose.
- A "Grade D or E" and a "Grade C or above" in an HKDSE Other Language subject (Category C subjects) are regarded as equivalent to an HKDSE subject at "Level 2" and "Level 3" respectively, and one Other Language subject can be counted for admission purpose.
- Holders of Diploma in Vocational Education / Diploma of Vocational Education (DVE) award upon successful completion of prescribed modules are eligible to apply for Higher Diploma Programmes.
- Applicants may be required to attend an interview.
This programme aims to equip students with the legal knowledge and administrative skills to support the legal professionals in law firms or related public services, or to carry out administrative duties in public or business organisations.
This programme is designed with an emphasis on generic and language training, whole-person development and workplace experience to better prepare students for further studies and employment after graduation.
Graduates are able to serve as paralegals in law firms or as administrators in government departments, public or business organisations.
Graduates can apply for top-up degree programmes offered by local and overseas universities or receive exemptions from them. In particular, graduates can apply for admission to the following programmes jointly run by School for Higher and Professional Education (SHAPE) and universities :
- University of Northumbria at Newcastle, UK : BA (Hons) Business (with Law)#
- Sheffield Hallam University, UK : BA (Hons) Business Management#
- Coventry University, UK : BA (Hons) Business Administration#
Graduates may also apply for Bachelor of Laws (LLB) by external study offered by London University in Hong Kong. # It is a matter of discretion for individual employers to recognize any qualification to which this course may lead. Please refer to the corresponding programme page in the website of SHAPE for the registered course no.
The programme has been recognized by:
- The Law Society of Hong Kong: Graduates of the programme who have satisfied the following requirements are entitled to use the title “Legal Executive”
- who have obtained a Level 2 in 5 subjects in HKDSE or who have been in law-related employment for 3 years; and
- who have obtained a minimum level 3 in English language in HKDSE or an overall score of 6.0 in IELTS (International English Language Testing System).
- The Judiciary: Graduates who are “Legal Executives” with legal work experience for 3 years enjoy limited rights of audience in both the District court and the High Court.
VTC reserves the right to cancel any programme, revise programme title, content or change the offering institute(s) / campus(es) / class venue(s) if circumstances so warrant.